Bindlestiff Studio is currently looking for a pro-bono, part-time Artistic Director (AD), who is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and focus of Bindlestiff Studio.
For more information, download the following file:
Bindlestiff Studio is a non-profit arts organization with a 89-seat performing arts venue located in downtown San Francisco. Established in 1989, Bindlestiff Studio is the longest-running black-box theater in SoMa (South of Market Area), and since 2000, it has been an epicenter of Filipino American performing arts as the only permanent, community-based theater dedicated to showcasing emerging Filipino American and Pilipino artists.
Bindlestiff Studio is currently looking for a pro-bono, part-time Artistic Director (AD), who is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and focus of Bindlestiff Studio. Specific duties include:
- Plan and develop Bindlestiff Studio’s programming.
- Inspire the staff, Production Team, and Board of Directors of the Bindlestiff Studio to create the best possible work at the organization.
- In collaboration with the Production Team and staff, develop new artistic and outreach programs that further the mission of the organization.
- Oversee and maintain the highest quality of all artistic output from Bindlestiff Studio, including but not limited to, full productions, readings and workshops.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization and our mission, vision, and accomplishments; communicate effectively and thoughtfully to the staff, Board members, artists, and volunteers, internally; donors, members of the press, foundations and other benefactors, externally.
- Be actively involved in the fundraising activities of the theater. This includes work on capital campaign as well as participating in fundraising calls to individuals, foundations, and corporations for the annual and capital funds.
- Oversee and maintain the quality of all written and published material that is sent out by Bindlestiff Studio.
The AD will work closely with the Managing Director. Joint responsibilities include:
- The Managing Director (MD), Artistic Director (AD) will work in close cooperation to build, nurture and sustain Bindlestiff Studio to achieve its mission.
- They will work together to achieve optimal annual budget performance and to ensure the financial integrity and stability of the organization.
- Create, maintain and monitor all program budgets.
- They will oversee all strategies and policy decisions that would impact internal and public perception of Bindlestiff Studio.
- The Directors will maintain close ties to the theatre industry and acting network in order to assess current trends, harness timely opportunities, and stay abreast of issues that directly impact Bindlestiff Studio.
- They will report directly to the Board of Directors and provide guidance to the Board based on day-to-day operations.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in non-profit managerial/director position.
- BA required.
- Familiarity with grants for the arts.
- Experience with QuickBooks.
- Some evenings and weekends required.
The position is pro-bono with the potential of becoming a paid position in the future.
How to apply:
Bindlestiff Studio is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace. This position is located in San Francisco, CA. Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your experience and interest in the position (PDF files only) via email to Gemma Mondala at this address: gemma [at] bindlestiffstudio.org. Please include the subject heading: “Artistic Director Applicant.” No phone inquiries, please.